1. Drink more water! How much water should you drink a day? Everyone has varying opinions. The rule I like to follow is look at the color of your urine. If it’s light yellow or almost clear you’re good. Unless you have had a B vitamin, you’re urine shouldn’t be of any significant color!
2. Deep breathing “out of doors”. Our breath is one of the most detoxifying processes in our body. We exhale an incredible amount of waste besides carbon dioxide. Outdoor air also is healthy because it contains positive and negative ions, is rich in oxygen, and contains fewer pollutants. Plus your spirits are lifted after spending time out in nature.
3. Replacing toxic hygiene products, toothpaste is #1. Have you ever read the back of your toothpaste label? “CALL POISON CONTROL RIGHT AWAY” if you ingest more than what is used for regular brushing. Why? Because fluoride is mega toxic! Other ingredients like the blue dye, sodium lauryl sulfate, and titanium dioxide aren’t great for you either. Get rid of the minty blue goo and save your brain from chemical overload.
4. Washing your food with a proven produce wash to remove chemicals. Not everyone can afford organic and depending on where you live you may not be able to get it. If you’re eating conventional apples, peaches, nectarines, strawberries, or grapes- you are eating one or more of the top 5 highest pesticide foods rated by EWG. That’s just the top 5! http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/dirty_dozen_list.php. Using a produce wash will remove these chemicals and your family will be less exposed to these everyday chemicals.
5. Increase fiber intake. Fiber is like your intestine’s sponge for toxins. Soluble and insoluble fibers are needed to gently cleanse your digestive tract. They also absorb toxins coming from the liver and carry them out through the bowel. Another reason to eat fiber? They are food for the good bacteria in your gut. Without fiber, those probiotics you are taking are just making expensive poop.
6. Move the lymph. Your lymphatic system does 3 things: a) begins in the gut where it absorbs fats and fat soluble vitamins. b) Your lymphatic system is your primary internal immune system c) Operates as your body’s sewer system. The metabolic waste coming from your cells makes its way into your lymph network, filtered by the lymph nodes and eventually back into the veins before heading to the kidneys and / or the liver- gall bladder- intestine route to exit the body. How do you get it moving? MOVEMENT! Yoga, massage, dry brushing, deep breathing, rebounding, riding horses, or any other activity that jostles your bones and giggles our jowls.
7. Shampoo new/dirty carpets with chemical free cleaner. As soon as you move into a new place, wash that carpet with chemical free cleaner! Rent a shampooer and use a green product to get dirt and chemical shampoo out. For new carpet, do the same. Chemicals in carpet get absorbed through our skin whether we are human or animals. This is not an uncommon cause of hot spots or rashes in pets.
8. Replace air fresheners with genuine & authentic essential oils. Did you know that air fresheners like the kind you plug in or sit around with wood sticks coming out of them are deemed as indoor air pollution by the EPA? Candles too! What makes those things smell good are 100% chemical soup that will irritate the sinus and lungs. Some of them are made with carcinogenic (cancer causing) materials as well. There is no need to ever use these awful things, ever. Replace them by diffusing 100% genuine and authentic essential oils. A little goes a long way.
9. Use only 100% plant based cleaners for household chores. So maybe you’re thinking, “how toxic can my cleaners be? Besides I only use them once a week.” Once a week for 52 weeks a year for decades! Little exposures build up over time and can cause contact dermatitis, asthma, and even bronchitis. Some household chemical cleaners are so toxic they can cause cancer! There’s no need to even buy this junk anymore with the advent of plant based cleaners that do a great job without the dangers.
10. Sweating. Make your body sweat! Your skin is the largest organ in your body and its main jobs are to protect and detoxify. You may not realize your skin easily lets go of toxins versus them leaving via your bowel or bladder. Heavy metals, chemical, and metabolic waste can leave via the skin when you enjoy far infrared saunas and physical activities. You can even call the spa and set up an appointment for a detox body wraps, they really work!